Monday, August 15, 2011

The Interrupted Life

After Saturdays pity party post, I knew I needed to follow up with something better.  Something encouraging, uplifting, and challenging is definitely in order... more for me than for you  ;)

A week or 2 ago, a sweet friend, Amanda, came by for a visit and brought me a huge bag of treats.  This bag included at least 6 new books and 3 new movies from one of the local Christian bookstores.  What a fun blessing!  Anyway, one of the books that she included was the shortened version of a Priscilla Shirer study called The Interrupted Life: Lessons from Jonah.  The study is about how God uses the interruptions in life to invite us to be part of something more with Him.  Today's chapter, titled Shortcuts, made me pause to think for a few minutes.  The focus of this chapter was how so many of us (and Biblical examples including Naaman) want to take shortcuts in obeying God.  He gives us directions and we try to find the quickest way to get there, instead of following the plan He has laid out.  I couldn't relate more!!  I'm constantly looking for shortcuts for my every day life including things like 10 minute meals, school supply packs, frozen veggies, wrinkle-free clothing, etc. and naturally, that mentality has bled over to my spiritual life.  I'm not putting in the effort required to have the results I desire!  That deserves a big fat AMEN on so many levels!  While I've been praying for His help to motivate me and help me connect with Him, I need to do what I already know I'm suppose to do (reading, prayer, scripture memory, confession, etc) to help get me there.  He has already laid out the plan for connecting with Him and let me tell you, there are no shortcuts!!   Satan LOVES that we LOVE shortcuts.   When we take them, we always miss out.  So, I don't know if anyone out there relates to this, (or even if many people read it), but if you do, I encourage you to take a minute and ask God where you might be taking shortcuts in obedience to Him.  Then try it His way and be blessed :)




No comments: