Sunday, July 27, 2008

What's for Dinner? Part 3

Since I got a pretty good response from the last recipe I posted, I thought I'd post new (and good) recipes as I try them out. I get most of my recipes from http://www.recipezaar.com/, but I almost always tweak the recipes to make them healthier and easier/quicker to make. If you want to see the original, non-Amy-ized recipes, go to recipezaar and enter a search for the title of the recipe.

Health Nut Brown Rice Recipe
3 cup instant brown rice
enough reduced-sodium chicken broth to make the rice as listed on box
1 cup carrots, shredded (I use handy chopper/food processor)
1 cup zucchini, shredded (also food processed, I peel mine as well so that the kids can't see the green!)
2 cloves garlic, minced
palmful or 2 of sunflower seeds (unsalted)
palmful or 2 of sliced almonds
1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
2-3 teaspoon olive oil
palmfulfresh parsley, minced or 2 tablespoon dried parsley flakes

1. Make the rice in the broth according to package
2. When the rice is almost done, cook the carrot, zucchini, and garlic in olive oil for 2 minutes.
3. Add sunflower kernnels, almonds and pepper flakes.
4. Cook over medium-high heat until the almonds are browned.
5. Add rice and parsley; stir until heated.

I hope you enjoy!

No comments: